Friday, March 21, 2014
Sunday, March 16, 2014
I found 6 original Herman Miller Eames DCM chairs on Craigslist a few weeks ago. Two sisters were clearing out their childhood home in Queens. These chairs sat at their dining room table since the early 60's.
Considering their age the chairs were in pretty good shape just very dry, rusty and a little dirty.
I started by disassembling the chairs and sanding off the clear coat. I had to sand each piece by hand because of the curves. Then I used Murphy's Oil Soap to clean off the dusk and any dirt left over.
I also learned that you can soak tin foil in vinegar and rub it along the chime to remove the rust and grime.
Once the pieces were dry I oiled them with Teak Oil.
Before and After
You can see how rich the coloring is once they got a little oil. I chose to not put another clear coat on because I wanted to be able to oil them regularly to keep the wood in good condition.
We used two for our desk
and the other four at the kitchen table.
Thursday, March 13, 2014
Did a little project for the Coveteur this week, a custom alphabet illustrating all their favorite spring trends. Check out Part 1 and Part 2!
Wednesday, March 5, 2014
New post on the Obey Blog about all I would bring to SXSW
Its a short list at only 10 items but trust me they're all you'll need.
1) Sunglasses- because shows start early
2) Denim Shorts- you'll probably sit in dirt at some point
3) Linen Crop Top- to go with the denim shorts
4) Sturdy Boots - no one wants their toes crushed during a show
5) Bucket Bag- an easy carry-all that isn't annoying to lug around
6) Comfy Tee - Like the Obey Font Triblend, by the end of the week it's all you'll want to wear
7) Easy Cap - hide the hair you didn't wash and still look good
8) Flowy mini dress- for the extra hot days
9) Light Jacket - it gets pretty cold at night, try the Hitch Suede Hiker for an updated classic motorcycle jacket
10) Cell Phone - you'll need to know how to find the food trucks at 3 am